HONITON AGRICULTURAL SHOW
Thursday 2nd August 2018
Sponsored by Exeter and East Devon Beekeepers
JUDGES for HONEY, WAX, ART AND PHOTOGRAPHY CLASSES
MARGARET DAVIES – BBKA Senior Judge with JACK MUMMERY – BBKA Judge
JUDGE for COOKERY CLASSES
DAVID BEAZLEY Associate Lecturer, Exeter College
PRIZES : First £5.00, Second £3.00, Third £2.00 will be awarded except for classes 12, 19 and 26 for which special awards will be made.
POINTS are awarded in each class on the basis of First: 6, Second: 5, Third: 4, HC: 3.
RULES – Exhibits will be judged in accordance with the DBKA Show Rules (www.eastdevonbk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Rules.pdf) which are equivalent to the BBKA Show Rules (1994). Open to ALL DBKA members.
THE BLUE RIBBON AWARD, offered by BBKA, will be awarded for the best exhibit in the Beekeeping Section of the Show should entries exceed 100.
PRIZE DISTRIBUTION will be at 4.00pm by David Robinson, Managing Director of Suttons Group and National Bee Supplies.
ENTRY FEE: 50p per class. No entry fee for Gift Class (21) & Bee Creative Class (26).
ENTRY FORMS & FEES APPRECIATED BY FRIDAY 27th JULY
PLEASE SEND TO:
Mike Walters, Little Tump, Lower Budleigh, East Budleigh EX9 7DL
OR VIA EMAIL TO:
email@example.com using the Competition Entry Form
Entries are not acknowledged & Labels are provided for your staging in the Bee Marquee.
LATE ENTRIES ACCEPTED up to 6.00 pm on Wednesday 1st August & VERY LATEST by 9.00 am on Thursday 2nd August in the Bee Marquee
SECTION A: HONEY CLASSES
CLASSES 1-15 INCLUSIVE ARE OPEN TO ANY MEMBER OF DBKA Except Class 8, exhibits should be without labels apart from the entry number label supplied during staging with its lower edge affixed 2cm above the base.
1. Two 454g (1 lb) jars of Light English Honey.
2. Two 454g (1 lb) jars of Medium English Honey.
3. Two 454g (1 lb) jars of Dark English Honey.
4. Two 454g (1 lb) jars Set English Honey.
5. One comb of English honey for extraction.
6. One container of cut comb honey, gross weight 200-250 g.
7. One section of comb honey.
8. Six matching transparent jars of English honey, labelled as for sale, to comply with current regulations. All honey in this class may be offered for sale at prices agreed by the show committee. Multiple entries are not permitted.
SECTION B: WAX, COMPOSITE, MEAD, PHOTOGRAPHIC AND ART CLASSES
9. One piece of beeswax not less than 454 g (1 lb) in weight and 2.5 cm thick.
10. Six blocks of beeswax, each 28 g (1 oz) in weight.
11. Ornamental beeswax creation, or a PAIR of MATCHED CANDLES made by any method. Moulding and colouring is permitted.
12. The Griffin Cup: three 454 g (1 1b) jars of English honey, one each of light honey, medium or dark honey (excluding ling) and soft set honey and a beeswax block, not less than 227 g (8oz) in weight and at least 10 mm thick. First Prize only, of £10.00 presented by Exeter and East Devon Branches of DBKA.
13. One bottle of mead, labelled “sweet” or “dry”, in a clear punted Sauterne-type bottle of approximately 75c1 capacity. White plastic flanged stoppers only must be used.
14. A single photograph not less than 150mm x 100mm (6″ x 4″) and not more than 300mm x 200mm (12” x 8”) of a subject of beekeeping interest. Must be rigid i.e. mounted.
15. ART: Coloured picture or craft-work in any medium. Subject of interest to Beekeepers. A suitable translucent protective covering may be used.
SECTION C: CLASSES 16 -19 INCLUSIVE – FOR NOVICES ONLY
NB A novice is anyone who has not won a prize at any Honey Show.
16. Two 454 g (l lb) jars Light English honey.
17. Two 454 g (l lb) jars Medium or Dark English honey.
18. Two 454 g (l lb) jars soft set English honey.
19. THE ROBIN KIRKCALDIE MEMORIAL CUP: three 454 g (l lb) matching jars of English honey. First prize only of £5.00.
SECTION D: COOKERY CLASSES
CLASSES 20 – 24 INCLUSIVE ARE OPEN TO ANY MEMBER OF DBKA. Paper plates and plastic bags will be supplied upon arrival.
20. APRICOT, HONEY AND PISTACHIO FLAPJACKS – using this recipe
Ingredients: 140g butter, 140g soft brown sugar, 2 tablespoons honey, 175g rolled oats, 75g chopped pistachios, 140g dried chopped apricots.
Method: (1) Put butter, soft brown sugar and honey in small pan and heat until melted. (2) Tip oats, pistachios and apricots into medium sized bowl. (3) Pour over melted butter mixture and stir to combine. (4) Transfer to a 20cm x 20cm greased and lined baking tray. (5) Bake at 160°C/140°C Fan/Gas 4 for 45mins. (6) Remove and cool in the tin and slice into 16 squares. (7) Display four identical squares.
21. HONEY VICTORIA SANDWICH – using this recipe
This is a Gift Class- There is no entry fee but cakes will become the property of the Honiton Show Committee and will be sold for the benefit of show funds from 4.00 pm on the day.
Ingredients: 170g (6oz) margarine, 100g (4oz) caster sugar, 170g (6oz) self raising flour, 1 tablespoon honey, 3 eggs, 2 tablespoons warm water.
Method: Cream margarine and sugar then the honey. Beat in the eggs. Fold in the sifted flour, adding water, if required, to make a soft mixture. Divide between prepared 7 inch sandwich tins and bake at 350F, 180C, Gas 4 for about 30 minutes. For the filling, use 75g (3oz) icing sugar, 55g (2oz) margarine and 1 tablespoon of honey.
22. HONEY DRIZZLE CAKE – using this recipe
Ingredients: 150g butter, 75g caster sugar, 75g honey, 150g self raising flour, 1½ tsp of bak-ing powder, 3 eggs, finely grated zest of 1 lemon.
Method: (1) Put butter, sugar and honey in small pan and heat until melted, stirring all the time. (2) Remove pan from heat and cool to body temperature. (3) Gradually beat in the eggs. (4) Add sieved flour, baking powder and lemon zest and mix until smooth. (5) Pour mixture into a 450g, greased and lined, loaf tin. (6) Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for approxi-mately 1 hour.
For Drizzle, use 150ml runny honey and spoon over cake while still just warm.
23. HONEY SULTANA SCONES – using this recipe
Ingredients: 200g self raising flour, 65g butter, pinch of salt, 1 dsrtsp runny honey, 1 level tsp baking powder, 40g sultanas & 125ml milk.
Method: (1) Rub butter into sieved flour and baking powder. (2) Add sultanas. (3) Mix honey with milk and add to mixture and mix to a soft dough. (4) Roll out to 2cm thick and cut into 5cm rounds with cutter. (5) Place on a greased baking tray. (6) Bake at 200°C, Gas 6 until risen and golden brown. (7) Display four scones.
24. HONEY CARROT CAKE MUFFINS – using this recipe
Ingredients: 75g honey, 100g wholemeal self raising flour, 100g self raising flour, 1 tsp bi-carbonate of soda, 2 tsp mixed spice, zest of 1 orange, 2 eggs, 140ml sunflower oil, 180g grated carrots.
Method: (1) Line muffin tin with paper cases. (2) Mix flours, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice and zest. (3) Whisk together eggs, oil and honey. (4) Stir into dry ingredients with car-rots. (5) Fill cases and bake at 180°C/Gas 4 for 20-22 minutes.
For Frosting, use 75g butter, 150g icing sugar, 1 heaped tblsp honey, 1 heaped tblsp crème fraiche. Whisk butter, add icing sugar a little at a time, add honey and crème fraiche.
Decorate as you like. Display 2 muffins.
25. CHILDREN’S CLASS for DBKA Members and their families.
Decorate a cupcake on the theme of ‘Beekeeping’. The cupcake can be up to 3ins in diameter and only the decoration will be judged. Two cupcakes to be displayed.
26. “BEE CREATIVE” CLASS for invited schools and children’s organisations.
Each group to design and make a poster to show how bees collaborate/co-operate in the hive or a mobile to identify different bee roles in the hive. Maximum size of poster 1m x 1m.
The following special awards will be available:
THE FRED BARRATT SHIELD Awarded for the highest overall points aggregate in the Honey Classes 1 – 8 inclusive.
THE BASIL SALTER WAX CHALLENGE CUP Awarded for the highest points aggregate in Wax Classes 9 & 10.
THE GRIFFIN CUP for the winner of the first prize in Class 12.
THE ROBIN KIRKCALDIE MEMORIAL CUP – to the winner of Novice Class 19.
THE UPLYME CUP Awarded for the highest overall points aggregate in the cookery Classes 20 – 24 inclusive.
THE HONITON SHOW CUP Awarded for the highest overall points aggregate in all Classes 1-25 inclusive.
The Prestigious BBKA BLUE RIBBON AWARD for BEST EXHIBIT IN THE SHOW (only when entries exceed 100).
STAGING – exhibits should be staged between 3.00 pm and 6.00 pm on Wednesday 1st
August OR between 8.00 am and 9.00 am on the morning of the show.
JUDGING STARTS at 9.30 am on Thursday 2nd August 2018 in accordance with the
DBKA Show Rules: (www.eastdevonbk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Rules.pdf).
COLLECTION – Exhibits should be collected between 5.00 pm – 6.00 pm on the day of the show. Should exhibitors be unable to collect exhibits themselves, exhibits will be removed for safe keeping by Branch representatives, preferably with prior arrangement. Any queries to the Competition Secretary, Mike Walters, contact details above.